His experience covers political communication, scoping, identification, program design, appraisal, reviews, and evaluation. He has a well-developed ability to work with financial and technical specialists, to create synergies between different market actors, and to work on the transformation of overall political objectives into action at the local level.
Rene’s international experience is developed by working in more than 30 countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Pacific, and for longer periods of time in Argentina, South Africa, Belgium, and South Korea. He has developed climate and sustainable energy programs for the World Bank, Danida, the Nordic Development Fund, and UNEP. In addition, he worked at the headquarters of international institutions like the European Commission, the Global Green Growth Institute, and the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and was involved in international negotiations, such as UNCSD and UNFCCC.
In addition, Rene has well developed drafting, outreach, and presentation skills, as well as abilities for inter-cultural cooperation. He has facilitated and made presentations at many international events on sustainable energy and climate change.
- Implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Paris agenda
- Green growth and climate change in the global south
- Energy access as a driver for green growth, job creation, income generation, resilience, and improved life quality
- Energy efficiency and renewable energy options, technologies, and systems
- Role of sustainable energy in non-energy sectors and value chains, such as agriculture, manufacturing, tourism, education, and health
- Renewable energy markets, including the role of private and public sector, civil society, and end-users
- Governments and public institutions, including strategies on sustainable energy, climate change and green growth, and transparency and public participation
- EU development co-operation
- Analysis of energy and development issues and options, and the links to green growth, climate change, and productive and social sectors
- Scoping, context analysis, formulation of international programmes within sustainable development, green economy, climate change, energy access and renewable energy.
- Appraisals, reviews, and evaluations
- Support to international processes and negotiations, e.g. on climate change
- South Saharan Africa and Indian Ocean: Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Maldives, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa (long term), Tanzania, Uganda.
- MENA: Egypt, Jordan
- South-East Asia: Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam.
- Other Asia: China, India, Mongolia, South Korea (long term).
- Pacific Small Island Developing States: Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Samoa, Vanuatu.
- Latin America: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Mexico
- Europe: Portugal
French, German, and Spanish: intermediate